3.07.2006

Preach It, Sistah!

So... I'm delivering a sermon tomorrow night. In a chapel. To a small group of people. Including my pastor.

Fas as I can recall, it'll be my first.

I've spoken to groups within and around church life before. Performed skits. Led seminars. Presented lessons. Directed camps. Mastered Microphone 101 and even presided over communion once or twice, in different places. All that's A-OK. I "serve" and "teach" perfectly well. But I'm a little less steady on the concept that I will soon stand behind a big ol' hunk o' wood and "preach."

I don't know if I'm a preacher type, you know?

And I mean that in the lay sense. Not as in, "someone with a direct call from God," but as in, someone who has a natural affinity to pontificate, uninterrupted, for solid stretches of time.

My dad, he's a preacher man. (Not actually, I'm saying. In approach and personality, I mean. Though he is a youth minister. Eh, forgetaboutit!)

I'm much more the discussion leader type. I can get back on point after others interject. I'm very good at juggling multiple ideas. But can I actually STAY on point when all I have is my own chase-a-rabbit-down-a-hole mind to prop me up? Umm.... not so much.

I'm a little ADD lately. Or maybe always. No, more lately. Definitely!

And I'm preaching. (sigh.) Tomorrow night.

I'll let ya' know how it goes. Meanwhile, a BIG shout out to the folks who do this tricky job every week. YEA, you! GO, your team! Plus, to my fam and friends, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if you said a prayer for my focus and state of mind.

I don't want to aim for perfection here, folks, but I do so sincerely repeat... "may the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be pleasing to You, O God!"
AMEN.

3 comments:

ANewAnglican@gmail.com said...

Just carry a big Bible and wave it around. That'll get 'em.

But seriously, prayers will be lifted up.

Almighty God, you gave to your servant G. special gifts of grace to understand and teach the truth as it is in Christ Jesus: Grant that by this teaching we may know you, the one true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen. (BCP, p. 249)

nikki said...

notice how New Anglican couldn't resist putting in the Book of Common Prayer in that comment?
I swear he must have the entire thing memorized!
ah, but I kid!
It sounds trite, but I know you will do great.
You are a great speaker and your enthusiasm will be infectious... for sure.
:) But I am with NA on the big bible thing... waving one around and maybe yelling words like DEVIL, or HELL, or DEMONS CAST OUT...blah blah blah... would if nothing else, cause a stir and be unforgettable.
:)
what time do I pray for you exactly?

GingerBarryBrandt said...

HEY! I DO feel better already. Less nervous. THANKS!

You're right, S... I care about the material, and I have ALL these caps and exclamation points in my typed-out sermon... they're sure to please! (Enthusiasm. Hee hee.)

Hilarious that you, the experienced Curillo speaker, mention "DEMONS CAST OUT" AND "HELL" -- EXACTLY the stern and forbidding message of that event, huh? I may start by slamming my Bible down. What is she doing, they'll wonder... "I was announcing my presence with authority." Oh, or is that for pitching, not preaching? I think I just channeled Bull Durham.

Thanks for making me feel better, friends!