Also, I found this post I started Feb. 3. and saved as a draft. (I hardly ever save drafts because, hey, this whole blog is one big first draft!) Anyway, it was VERY close to finished. And I think it's not half bad, either. Well, I'll say.... Some days are just good like that. Glass half full and ya' find a penny. Here goes the thing I was thinking about before:
Knowledge is such a seductive thing.
My child is learning this, before he learns how very little knowledge gets you, without all the other stuff that makes what you know matter.
And, yet... We've all gotta start somewhere, so I guess cartin' around a big load of knowledge is better for a preschooler than carrying around an empty sack.
Today, Miles walked into my office and said, "Guess what, Mom? GUESS WHAT!? Sun starts with S, and snake starts with S, and star starts with S, and even spoon starts with S!"
"You're right, honey. How did you know all that?"
[Awed voice] "Because I ...just... KNOW it."
He was so proud of himself. So very knowledgeable. For an almost-4-yr-old.
I was proud, too, but sobered. There's nothing wrong with this little boy's bent toward learning. It just reminds, me, sometimes, of where he comes from. And, oh, how far we'd like for him to go!
I know he'll have to navigate his own way to maturity, one day. And I believe he'll seek God's direction on how to live. But if I could will it, I would make it so Miles never allows knowledge to become his crutch or his club in this life. May he never lean on it too heavily, when experience would serve him better. May he never wave it around, when silence would better serve others. May my son cultivate wisdom and discernment, empathy and mercy, along with all the knowledge he desires.
From my mouth to God's ears, may Miles never be seduced by knowledge.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing.
Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring.
There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
And drinking largely sobers us again..."
--Alexander Pope
Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring.
There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
And drinking largely sobers us again..."
--Alexander Pope
No comments:
Post a Comment