3.27.2006

Monday, Monday...

La, laaa... la, la, la, la, la.

(Guess you had to be in my head for that to sound good.)

Anyway: Hey, world! What a day! A great day to live and breathe!

I preached yesterday. And all went well. (sigh.)

I feel like I passed a threshold with the public-speaking-and-in-my-church-no-less. I know what I can do, now. Not what I should be able to do for these folks, because I've done it before, professionally. Not, what I want to do, in conjunction with these people who are my friends and neighbors. But what I can do, at the times God will lead me to doing it. Now I understand better where I am called to serve, for the time being. I can be in front now, and not be so uneasy, because I really do get that it's not about me. :)

Actually, yesterday was quite the busy day-of-rest, but I start a new week feeling useful. And closer to my God. And pretty sure I don't ever want to move into an apartment on Broadway, no matter how dang historic, but that's another story....

On the happy front, there are two imminent arrivals I look forward to celebrating. My new little nephew should be born in a couple of weeks, out in Calif., and my new little girlfriend, Lacey Starr or Trixie, should be here by the end of April. (These are her code names, because her mother is sarcastic and has cruel, cruel friends who won't let her forget it, but we'll give up the ribbing and call the baby a real name once she's born.) These are things that could make me melancholy but instead make me grateful. And that is a lovely feeling.

Also, after spending time with another little boy about mine's age, I am so thankful to have a son who shows sign of maturing (or even the ability thereto). He's a peach, our Mr. Miles -- even if he does have wayward hair and a habit of not fully utilizing his manners.

On the it's-a-bummer-but-whacha-gonna-do front, I also have BIG income tax issues looming.
(Self-employment tax is eating my lunch and my latte budget, for the next five years or so! Eek.)

And that about wraps up the how's-the-weather report inside my house. Anybody want to post a comment on the state of your personal atmosphere? Be my guest....

2 comments:

see-through faith said...

what did you preach on?

GingerBarryBrandt said...

Oh, hello! I preached Mark 1:9-15 (baptism & temptation)... a few weeks after it came up in the RCL.

One cool thing: My pastor had preached on the same text and gone somewhere totally different, so the congregation got a little taste of the infinite variety and depth of the Good Book -- how the same words can be mined by different people and unearth different truths for different needs.

Neat, neat!