11.17.2004

"To Intenyenif & Big Yawn"

Gotta scribe quick 'cause I'm on the clock, but I just witnessed some first-class cuteness! Must share....

Miles is watching "Toy Story" for at least the 12th time, and he is predicting/ playing out plot points. (While wearing his SpiderMan hooded jacket and gloves, incidentally.) On screen, Buzz Lightyear is winning friends in Andy's room. In the den, Miles suddenly pulls out the recliner footrest (from the bottom, forget about that pesky side lever!) and pushes back the chair until it ctaches in full recline position. He carefully climbs onto the footrest, faces the chair, and stretches his arms for a leap. As he lands in the chair's seat he says something that sounds like, "in-bey-if-a-be-yawn." Then he stands up and says louder, "In-beee-yin-if and be-gawn!"

"What, honey? What are you saying?"
"You know! In.. in... intenyenif and big yawn!"

...To infinity and beyond.

When M. gets excited, he starts reversing syllables and/or letter sounds. "Forgot" becomes "got-for." "Yellow" (already hard to say) becomes "lel-wo." In-fin-i-ty becomes something like "in-tin-if" (& who knows where those other, fill-in sounds come from?).

I know one day he will have perfect diction with which to express all those big thoughts burgeoning in his head. A marvelous vocabulary and a meticulous mind. But I am so pleased that today, today Miles says "to intenyenif and big yawn."

How much do I love this little boy? To infinity and beyond.

No comments: