11.11.2004

Potpourri

I'm putting myself on a regimen of forced blogging. Today, that's a bit like biting into a crumbly, chalky vitamin. (Translation: not pleasant.) I do this because I need to get back into the habit of writing -- content be damned! (Translation: Who cares if I have nothing to say?!)

Actually, I may have things to say. Just not cohesive things. And perhaps not positive things.
(I SO like to write in a tidy, orderly fashion. But I'm on a regimen; I have to spill, even when messy. Here goes...)

1.) It's Veteran's Day.
And we're at war.
I'm just a marshmellow! Who knew?! Tears are already welling, and as my conflicting thoughts muddy behind my eyes, I repeat to myself how lucky I am that three men in my life -- my two grandfathers and my dad -- came home from wars.

I say a prayer that as many men and women as possible will come home from this one.

Now I'm starting to drip on my typing hand, so moving on...

2.) There is a weight in my family I can't even describe.
I can't capture the heaviness of my parents' lives in print, even. Strange when something is too big for my thoughts to describe. Or too emotional for my mind to engage.
So the weight sits and waits for me to shape it into words....
Maybe one day soon.

3.) If I like my job so much (I don't USUALLY lie to myself, and I've told myself that I do!), why am I so unproductive lately?
I mean, I really suck! I used to be so adept at this. I used to accomplish much in a short time... This week, I accomplish NOTHING (it feels like) in long stretches of time. Whassup?!
I just can't work up any enthusiasm for solving retailers' problems or tracking missing paperwork or doing all the piddly little things that have to be done well, all attention to detail, to make sure customers are happy. I think I need a semester break.

4.) What is it about churches that bring out a love/ hate relationship in congregants?
I really would like to answer this one.... Perhaps more supporting evidence is in order, later.

5.) What have I been like "all my life?"
I know what I'm like as an adult. I remember, mostly, what I was like as a child. But what are the things that have been constant from then to now? I ask because I met an elderly woman the other day who said her great-grandchild has been "smiling since birth." Her daughter Patty "is just inquisitive. She's been like that all her life." So it got me thinking.... what have I been like, all my life? Because it seems much easier to pinpoint things that are different than things that are the same.

Well, that was a bracing dip into my stream of consciousness! I wonder if this mental potpourri amounts to anything? Sometimes the most disparate things, put together, do approximate a whole. And, sometimes, putting form to thoughts helps drive away the melancholy.


1 comment:

nikki said...

I am so glad you are blogging every day!!! I really need to do this... force myself to write, like it or not, bad or good, just write...
I sat down to write for the entire evening the other night and wrote several different pieces, that I quickly erased. I walked totally away from the keyboard feeling like a total failure.
I relate to your frustrations!!! :)
I am here for ya too.
N