So I started the day behind and things aren't exactly looking up from here. I think I might not actually be so good at the fabled multi-tasking as I thought, because today I have (really, not hyperbole here) about 50 different things, in probably 5 different categories of "thing," to do for work. Instead of feeling good that I have these multiple jobs afoot, and not the sort of redundant day that used to get me down, I feel more like my head might explode.
Ah, well... "out of the frying pan," as they say. Or, "the grass isn't always greener." Or, "if it ain't one thing...." Or, "another day, another dollar."
(Um, this was supposed to be a lift-my-spirits and get-me-back-in-the-writing-groove break, but the words have gone so far south so fast, I hesitate to keep typing. Soon, I'll be SPEAKING these overused little ditties and sounding very much like a traveling salesman.)
Anyway, I was thinking: This is the kind of day I ALMOST wished I worked at The Office in Scranton. Yeah, so while my soul might be slowly compressed by the futility of my professional life, at least I'd have Dwight around for amusement, and Pam and Jim with whom to quip.
...Interruption while I help Lori in Louisiana log into our web site, email Rachel in Ohio a credit card authorization form, and leave a gushy message for Donna in Virginia. (I think she's put out with me.)
...2nd interruption while I walk Jess in Oklahoma through our online ordering process. (Deep sigh. Much time lost. This person is NOT a fan of the computer age...)
Hey! Maybe I DO work in The Office. Of a sort. Plenty of small, not-that-dramatic moments accrue every day, and I bet I could turn them into something more interesting -- poetic license and all. I should perhaps start compiling my stranger interactions, in the hopes of a TV deal to fund my children's higher education.
So I have no visible co-workers or clients... just a small glitch to overcome for a visual medium, RIGHT?! Maybe America really DOES want to see a fictionalized account of a home office Lone Ranger, daily fighting the good fight with a slew of testy/ needy clients & quirky co-workers (so far -- all too familiar, right?) ; ever glitchy, old house technology coupled with charming ineptitude for dealing with said technology; a mound of volunteer tasks including food for dead folks (Bereavement Committee) ; regular familial and/or household interruptions -- not limited to but including bouncing balls gone over cinder-block fences and rotting rat carcasses on the patio; plus never quite enough time or hot coffee.
I bet I'd make good radio theater, anyway....
2 comments:
Hee hee! I'd listen to it on the radio!
Multitasking works well for computers. For humans, not so much.
And I've tagged you for a meme at my blog...find out why!
Post a Comment