So... I got tagged! How exciting! I think these things are to be followed up upon a bit faster than 4 days later :) -- but I'm on Internet break this week, as I'm not working and I'm trying to stay busy BEYOND the home office.
So, anyway, thanks to Kieva (a newfound blogger!) for tagging me with the Five Things I Dig About Jesus meme. Here are mine:
1. He cried -- and He laughed.
2. He forever tied together food + conversation/ conversion.
Just a thought: Where would "church" be today, if not for the power of social events -- usually centered around food -- to forge connections we couldn't make in an hour of worship, to give us common ground and a greater level of comfort around each other, to generate good feelings and shared experience? You see how -- bad casseroles completely withstanding -- potluck is truly a Divine idea! Seriously, I know of no matching example in history where communal dining becomes such a life-changing, sacred force. It's not just symbolism -- Jesus really did bring "bread for the soul."
3. He sought out the not-so-polished people. And He made them his crowd -- because instead of merely loving them, He actually LIKED them.
...I bet the disciples -- being crusty, fisherman and tax-collector types -- were apt to get lost in the middle of an all-day walk and forget they were striding next to the Son of God. I bet, sometimes, they told inappropriate stories. Sometimes, they said crazy and crass things. And I bet, sometimes, Jesus laughed. I'm pretty sure He smiled.
4. He didn't have to do anything on earth, but He did.
He didn't have to prove anything to be the Divine, Fully-God Self He was and is -- but he did something very, very big nonetheless.
Suspend the question of sin for just a moment: How else would human beings know, really KNOW, that someone so unlike us loves, loves, loves us -- silly little us! -- except that He lay down his life to call us "brothers" and "friends?"
5. He's alive.
It's just good to know, that the Jesus I pray to isn't frozen in time
or stuck in one place or even confined to the pages of a very great book. He's alive, and one day I'll get to be in His crowd... eating tacos, I hope, and listening to the BEST conversation!
2 comments:
AMEN - aunty Ellen
Thanks for playing! I especially liked your #4.
Post a Comment