6.14.2007

Just Bursting...

So I'm catching up on work a few feet away from the TV room, and my boys are starting a movie. A few bars of opening music should be all it takes to ID the film. Let's see... how to approximate?

Da-da-da DUUUM-DUUUM. Da-da-da-DAH.....

Or, if this makes it easier:

Image:StarWarsMainThemeSnippet.jpg


Miles has -- and has had for a couple of years now -- a total Star Wars fixation. For the longest time, he'd never even seen one of the movies; the gear and the action figures were enough to get him hooked.

We finally let him view A New Hope at age 4 1/2. Since summer began, he's moved on to episodes 5, 6 and 1, courtesy the VHS collection of our local library.

We parents have decided he can't complete the series, at least for a couple of years, because things are about to take a much darker turn on screen. Fortunately for us, the boy seems content to REWATCH all the episodes he's seen thus far. Unfortunately for us, he would watch nothing else if we let him.

This is how I have come to memorize large chunks of Episode 4: A New Hope. Need examples?

"They've shut down the main power converter. We'll be destroyed for sure. This is madness!"

"Secret mission? What are you talking about?!"

"We seem to be made to suffer. It's our lot in life." (C3P0)

"But I was going to the Tashi Station to pick up some new power converters!" (Luke)

"Help Me Obi-Wan Kenobi -- you're my only hope." (Leia)

"These are not the droids you're looking for." (Obi-Wan)

"Never heard of the Millenium Falcon? It's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs!" (Han Solo)

"I should have expected to find you holding Vader's leash. I recognized your foul stench when I came on board." (Leia)

...Need I go on? It's a little disturbing that I have become a total SW nerd so late in life. But, for the loves of boyhood, what's a parent to do?

Anyway, I'm just typing away in here, listening to the soundtrack of our recent lives out there, when I stop to observe the backs of my two boys on our couch. They look so much alike from this angle -- the bigger red head and the littler red head. Both shirtless in the summer heat, Jer's legs propped on the coffee table and Miles long, skinny limbs splayed over his dad. Miles is completely focused, and Jeremy is patiently sitting through his umpteenth viewing.

I look at them and I shake my head... in wonder or awe or I don't know what. But I look at them, in this very ordinary everyday moment, and I think my heart just might burst out of my chest.

I am bursting for these two people who share my life. Who make my life. And now we get another! Can a girl even ask for more than this?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The original trilogy (eps 4-6) is the best, anyway. And I still remember some of the dialog snippets, including the ones you mentioned :)

ANewAnglican@gmail.com said...

This post brings me joy! And I'm thrilled that Miles is experiencing SW in the correct order: 4, 5, 6, then 1, and eventually 2 and 3.

Remember, the Force will be with you . . . always.

nikki said...

ok. I had the record! of A new Hope. Not the cheesy sound record, but a voice recording of the entire freaking movie!
And of course, I acted out every scene cause I was, WAS Leia!!!
If you are lucky (or maybe unlucky) I will find the record and gift it to Miles!