10.24.2006

So... How you make Kool-Aid is...

...That you open the little bottle, and you give the packet to Mrs. Lisa... And she opens it and gives it back, and you REAL carefully pour it into the water which turns red ...but, actually, you have to put the cap back on first and swish it around first [insert arm motion for "swish, swish"], because it doesn't just get red right away. Some parts are just clear until you mix it all together. I guess it's because it's so sour. Dontcha know!? Some parts of the Kool-Aid are sweet and some parts of it are sour, so what you do is put it all together and mix it around and around, so the sweet parts will SLOWLY melt, and eat the sour parts. And then it's good to drink! Dontcha know?

Weclome to the Four-year-old Zone! You have just been treated to a carefully reconstructed car monologue in which Miles relays the most enjoyable part of eating a Lunchable at his school. (I didn't get any introduction or transitional phrases, either, so don't blame me. It's just accuracy in reporting.)

In fact, Miles is very big on the "dontcha know" phrase lately. He regularly drops the words as an introduction to a bit of arcane knowledge, a pint-sized decree or a cheerful recitation of TV marketing: "Dontcha know fingernails can get Play-Doh out of the little jars when it gets stuck;" "dontcha know Darth Vader is the best StarWars costume;" "dontcha know you can buy the can with the scrubbing bubbles and no human will have to touch the tub to get it clean!"

Not long after he gave me the Treatise on Kool-Aid Mixing, the boy and I shared two more exchanges -- one you may need to know and one you probably "dontcha," but perhaps they will amuse and entertain both casual and familial observers.

M: "Dontcha know, I know who the first people to celebrate Thanksgiving were!"
Me: "Oh, really? Who?"
M, proudly: "Indians and Pilgrims."
(We talk for a few seconds and then...)
M: "And, I know what Indians ate and what Pilgrims ate."
Me: "Well, what?"
M: "Indians liked bears and buffaloes, and Pilgrims liked deer and turkeys. But everybody ate corn."

A few hours later.... in front of the TV.
M: "Excuse me."
Me: "OK... thanks for saying it."
M: "Well, I wouldn't have if I were alone. But it's best not to say funny things about your farts if other people are around. Right?"
Me: "Umm... Yes, hon. That's what we tell you."
M: "But if I were alone... I would just probably say... 'That was a good one!' "

1 comment:

nikki said...

BT says "that was a good one" when he isn't alone, dontcha know?
:) LOL!