12.05.2006

Something You Do Not Want to Hear Your 4-Year-Old Say....

"I know what color electricity is when it comes out of the wall."

Yeah, see, that's not good. And, knowing my kid, I had to half believe he was knew what he was talking about, even before I investigated.

"Is it yellow?" I ask. A VERY SERIOUS FACE is my response.

"Oh, no. It's blue. The sun is yellow. But -- somepin' kinda funny about that -- since the sun is yellow and orange, I don't think it runs on electricity at all. (Then, mumbling to himself) I think it must be lava. Fire rocks and hot lava."

Oh. My.

Where to start?

"Son: How do you know this about electricity?"

"Cause, when you plug in my fan, if you only plug it in halfway, the electricity comes out in a little line and you can watch it."

Oh. My.

BIG SAFETY LECTURE ensues. SERIOUS FACE takes it well. (It isn't all his fault. Something really is weird about that outlet. It doesn't hold plugs in as tightly as it should.)

I stop, breathe deeply, and ask the series of questions hard experience has taught me to ask: "So... you heard me just now, right? ...Did you understand? ...And, do you know what Mama needs you to do next time you need to plug in your fan? ...And, if you understand, I need to HEAR you say, 'Yes, Mam.' So we're both clear that you will not touch the electricity plug any more.... RIGHT?!"

Then I felt free to praise the mind in action. "And, actually, you're on the right track about the sun. That's some pretty good thinkin,' young man. "

No comments: