12.01.2006

Keyboard Ponderings

I've rubbed away part of the upper curve of the "S" on my computer keyboard. It really bothers me.

I bet it's not that uncommon, to wear away the letter decals with heavy use or over time. I got this keyboard in Dec. '04, and since then I guess I've tended to hit that second row left-hand corner too hard -- I do sort of thud my way through the day, unable to click daintily like anyone who was ever trained in typing.

It's understandable. Still.... I am bothered by that small, missing piece of S. It leaps out at me every time I type.

Oh, and the bottom half of the left side of the A -- you know, the little part under the horizontal line? -- it's missing, too. That one doesn't bother me so much, because my pinky often rests on top of it. Plus, the A just sort of fades away at the bottom. The S has a clear gap in it... a bit of jarring non-congruity in its serpentine curve.

I think all the best people are like letters in heavy use. We have missing edges and little gaps life has worn into our shapes. Sometimes, our wear marks are hardly noticeable. Sometimes, they jump out at those observant.

Either way, we all get worn. All the more when we try to be the letters in heavy rotation... to use ourselves in the service of many words, to fully give ourselves away. Sometimes, "best letter" people wear down to the point of being unreadable. But, if a careful hand knows just where to find it and how much pressure to apply, a key with no observable label will still create its intended shape.

I don't know what this means, but it makes me much less sad about my S. It makes me much less sad to be an S.

And less sad is very good.

2 comments:

annie said...

I came here via Mindy's blog (got tickled because you were having the same problem I was with trying to comment).

I like this about the letters.

nikki said...

I wish I would have known. I found some teenagery stickers the other day that you put on your keyboard letters... they were letters with attitude. Like the letters all had faces and stuff.
crazy.