I had such fun telling about Miles' reindeer project that I want to briefly share his vocabulary Christmas tree from the last day of school before break. (Yeah, yeah... so I'm on the road to "Insuffereable Mom Bore." I got it. I'll exit soon....)
On green construction paper in the shape of a tree, next to glued-down shapes of the following images, he carefully printed their names:
star
gift
reef
sadta
gigr
bred
men
krismstre
My favorite is "reef" -- either that or "sadta." It sounds like someone with a head cold or a SERIOUS accent. :)
Oh, one more thing comes to mind to share -- a cute moment from the Rm 201 Christmas Party.
I took baby Owen to Miles' school, so every girl immediately became my friend. (I had no idea 5-yr-old girls were so into babies! 'Cause 5-yr-old boys? Sometimes yes, sometimes no...) A little round-faced, shaggy haired brunette named Rachel took me under her wing and started pointing out notable things about her class and classmates. Eventually, she went to another girl's backpack, lifted out a small jewelry box, opened it and said: "See what Jordan bought Tiernan for Christmas?"
(Ed Note: Jordan = boy. Tiernan = girl. These things aren't always clear.)
Inside were two pink snowflake earrings and a snowflake necklace. "It's for the marriage," Rachel said, matter-of-factly. "Jordan asked Tiernan to marry him, and she said yes, so they'll be getting married when they're adults."
Jordan's mom overheard this and made eye contact with me -- a bit surprised, a bit amused and a bit alarmed. She said, "He didn't tell me that." I said, "Oh, I believe it!" She leaned down toward her son's intended, the sweet smiling, blond-banged Tiernan, and say, "Did Jordan really say that, honey?"
First she just nodded. Completely serious-faced. Then she smiled, shyly, and said: "Yep. And I got JEWELRY!"
OK, then! Deal sealed....
Any of you single friends out there, who may want to get married "when you're adults," can take this as an encouraging tale. Always remember the power of jewelry and chutzpah. Offer up something sparkly (pink snowflake... pink diamond...) and the girl just might say yes!
No comments:
Post a Comment