12.19.2007

Braking Slightly for the Curves

So we've turned a corner in my house. We no longer have a newborn. And -- holiday deviations notwithstanding -- we have something of a routine here, too.

I knew this would happen! NEEEVER doubted for a moment! (OK, maybe a couple seconds... Here and there. And most of November...)

But we've arrived at something. Our little game-of-Life car, with the pink and blue plastic pin heads in front and the two blue pins in back, is on the road again! We may not be on cruise control (to push the metaphor), and we certainly aren't speeding, but I think we're keeping up with traffic.

I manage to provide clean clothes, folded into drawers, each week. I semi-regularly clear the living areas of clutter. Most days, our bed gets made. Every day, the dishwasher gets emptied and reloaded (if for no other reason than to clean lots & lots of bottles). Between us, Jer and I feed the family evening meals (of a sort... in some fashion) and feel no guilt over regular outings to Chick-Fil-A.

Miles' backpack is always cleared, his classroom notes read; his lunches get made and his outerwear matches the changeable Texas weather. The baby is always bundled when we head out in the chilly a.m., and we're never late to school.

Of course, the big kid often looks like Huckleberry Finn when he gets there -- too-short pants and messy bed head, resisting any effort to be "sivilized." And I have not always showered when my day starts. But these are details -- pish, posh!

We're (basically) making it as a family with 2 working parents and 2 kids.

...Did you hear that? I have.... TWO kids! Count em: ONE. TWO! It certainly feels like an achievement, and I'm giving myself the right to celebrate.

(Don't think I haven't noticed that what comes most naturally to a lot of people is actually hardest for me. I know plenty of folks who seem to make babies and dinner and tidy beds as a matter of course in life. Me? Not so much!)

BTW, all you far-flung relatives and friends who may occasionally lurk about: I DID think of you this card-sending season! Swear!

I dug out Christmas cards and had wallet-size pictures printed. I sorted and contemplated and even decorated the family room floor with stacks of stationery and lists (some on the backs of envelopes) of names. I was going to combo a birth announcement and a holiday card in one envelope to each dearly loved one.

...I guess you already know, by the absence of any mail received, where this is going. I haven't even gotten the "Owen has arrived" cards mailed!

I think it will happen -- but I beg your right pardon now: 1.) if you prefer and generally maintain more timely communication in your own life; 2.) in case you never actually receive anything from me and start to think you are not remembered; and 3.) should I misspell your name or any common words/ not write in complete thoughts/ actually make no sense at all. ...We've got a routine, true enough. It just doesn't involve all that much sleep or brain food for the Mama.

OK. Enough for now. The bridal biz calls. Kitchen duty whispers my name every time I walk through. And that BIG stack of addressed envelopes, waiting on personal notes, is a siren song in the middle of a work day. Too, too much to do! ...But what a privilege that I get to try!

One stretch of road at a time -- with detours and exits and tricky on-ramps -- I think we just might be headed somewhere good in this family!

MERRY CHRISTMAS, my fellow journeyers!

No comments: