12.21.2007

Cracking the K-Code

A feml rader has begr huvs.

Rad(lowercase b erased behind the d) r hav white pup.

Rader hed the(word since erased and replaced with) tuo alrs.

(All periods added.)

What is all this, you ask? Why, boy genius at work, of course! :)

Miles brought home a kindergarten coloring project yesterday -- a paper reindeer booklet made by folding square pages into triangles and stapling down the longest side. Cut-outs of his little hands were stapled along the long edge for antlers, and the point of the triangle became a little red nose. Voila! A Cubist Rudolph.

Inside were crayon and pencil drawings of an angel and a reindeer face, plus these hieroglyphics.

Each side of a page had a different statement. I asked him what his words said, and he couldn't remember. He looked at the pages a long time... squint-eyed and silent. Then he burst out with his characteristic drama: "This is crazy! I can't read one of these words! They do NOT even make sense! I don't EVEN know what I was thinkin'!"

I said that's OK, and he continued... "But, really, Mom, I didn't even do that today. It was two days ago!"

So, two days ago he could have read it back to me, I guess. But I have some ideas.

A feml rader has begr huvs. ...A female reindeer has bigger hooves? I could be insulted, but it has a sort of logic to it. His teacher and I are both females with kinda big feet.

Rader is definitely reindeer, as I asked later and Miles suddenly recognized the word.

The second line is still something of a mystery -- "reindeer have white pup?" The word "white" came out perfectly because the class has spent a lot of time on colors. Sometimes, Miles writes the word of a color, in the proper color, inside an image rather than coloring it in.

On to the last line: Reindeer had two antlers?

I'm not sure I'll ever know where his boy mind was wandering as he scribbled away, but how precious that I got to read (and I get to keep) the evidence of early writing in process!

...Also, on an aesthetic note: He traced and cut out his own antler hands, so one side is rather stunted while the other is freakishly puffy. I don't mind at all, because...

Rader hav cute atlrs!

1 comment:

ANewAnglican@gmail.com said...

Thanks for the comment over on my little blog space. Thought I'd return the favor by responding here. And to say, of course, how glad I am that you are posting again and sharing your wonderful stories with the world. You're so domestic, and I mean that in a good way, trust me.

Yes, "Love Actually" is really an amazing film, and not only because of Laura Linney's nude scene.

My favorite storyline, I'm almost embarrassed to say, is the language-be-damned courtship of Jamie and Aurelia. Indeed, the not quite lost-in-translation of their exchanges is precisely the reason why I find it so heartwarming. Brings a tear to my closet sentimentalist eye every time. But the same goes for almost every scene in the whole movie.

And did I mention the Laura Linney nude scene? No sir, nothing wrong with that.

(My apologies if this post upsets the family friendliness of your blog. Feel free to delete as necessary.)

Cheers to Jeremy and the kids!