Da, da, da --- da, da, da --- da, da, DUH --- da, da, DUUUH-DUH!
(Softer: Bahm, bahm, bahm-bahm BAHM!)
Stop a sec to ponder the intersection of Billy Joel, Tom Hanks & Peter Scolari, and you will catch my mental drift. Ahh, and if you are a child of the 70s/80s, you may soon be singing with me...
(Really -- it's irresistable!)
"I don't care what you say, anymore, this is MY LIFE.
Go ahead with your own life, and leave me alone..."
OK, the question of care notwithstanding, I'll say something. I'll say this.
I have become a cold, cruel girl, my friends.
Yes, I have.
Unfeeling. Unsympathetic. Cold, cold, cold.
Deep down: I want them ALL to go on with their own lives, and leave me alone.
My profession has forced this shift upon me. I am basically a nice person. A somewhat flaky, loves-to-laugh, essentially bright and marshmellowy center NICE person. But I cannot take it any longer. I simply can NOT stand to hear ONE MORE person COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN without secretly giving some attitude back. So, the Bosom Buddies theme song has become my workaday anthem! My very lifeline to the land of sanity, which I fondly remember and hope to visit again, sometime about June.
Until then, I just hum to myself while I take crap from cranky, cranky humans. Ooh, ooh, let's do the bridge together!
"I never said you had to offer me a second chance
I never said I was a victim of circumstance...
I still belong / don't get me wrong
And you can speak your mind
But NOT (pause) ON (pause) MY TIME...."
"I don't care what you say anymore...." Picture bouncy, mushroom-headed me (I recently got a haircut, and it's all so pert and fluffy and ending at the chin, the thickness does kinda give a mushroom effect above the neck), chair dancing in conspicuously caucasian fashion and snapping my fingers to the sound of air. (Ah-ha! But very soon I will purchase the song from iTunes and can commence dancing to an actual soundtrack -- cheap therapy!)
So, louder now: BAHM -- BAHM -- BAHM BAHM -- BAAAHM! (I might be doing air drums right now, but let's not speak of it. I still have small shreads of dignity I might like to repiece together one day.)
Oh, I love this tune, but I don't pretend it's the only one that can address my current mental state. One of you, for instance, may have some inspirational music that has gotten you through deadlines or major projects, life shifts or periods of psychosis (just kidding). And maybe you'll share. If you know something that might ease the passing of these current days (nothing with beach waves or soothing nature sounds, please, because that sort of peaceful, take-a-moment-to-unwind crap will send me straight to an all-out hissy-fit), please post the song title in comments or forward to my email address!
Hugs and kisses to all you kind souls. Be good to the customer service folks out there, because it probably isn't their fault! ;)
Da-da-da...
5 comments:
I heard another great song-for-the-moment in my car tonight! "If I Had a Boat" by Lyle Lovett.
Let me just cut to the rock-and-roll chase (I sometimes aspire to such cutting dialogue, but I don't actually speak this way)
"The Mystery Masked Man was smart, he got himself a Tonto
'Cause Tonto did the dirty work for free
But Tonto he was smarter... one day said Kemosabe:
Kiss my ass, I bought a boat; I'm headed out to sea...."
Lately, I've been listening to "angry" music - Pat Benetar's Invincible:
What are we running for?
We have a right to be angry!
What are we running for?
When there's nowhere we can run to anymore.
We can't afford to be innocent;
Stand up and face the enemy.
It's a do or die situation
We will be invincible.
Cranked it up and sung it at the top of my lungs on the way to the church this week!
When life gets crazy...even this jazz-and-classical gal likes to crank up REM's "It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)."
*Guilty Pleasure*
I always play music in class in the morning to get the creative juices flowing. When I'm feeling a little playful I press play on the Bob Marley songs "I Shot the Sheriff," "Get Up, Stand Up," and other classic Marley tunes.
Unfortunately, on 4/20 I played Mr. Marley and some students thought it odd... I wonder?
Looking for information and found it at this great site... » » »
Post a Comment