11.22.2005

My Boy, My Boy...

Time to do some documentation. Primary resources, as we all know, are the lifeblood of history. :) In the interest of documenting the references and interests of a turn-of-the-twenty-first-century child, here are several Miles anecdotes of late....



MANNA FROM HEAVEN?
Sometime yesterday afternoon, I overheard this monologue from small son. (Yes, he narrates most of what he does... It's kinda like the Truman Show: All Miles, All of the Time.)

"I want a Pop Tart!" (rumble, rustle, sound of scraping chair and opening cabinet.) But we have no Pop Tarts. (DEEP sigh.) I guess they were out of 'em at the store. I guess the whole store had NONE of Pop Tarts, so no other boys and girls could buy them. ...OH NO! But don't worry, God will make more Pop Tarts."



COMMERCIAL CONNOISSEUR
Over the weekend, I receive this small sign that I have been TOO LAX with my monitoring of Miles' TV time. (And strong evidence that he is the one changing the channel from PBS to the much more commercial Playhouse Disney.)

M: Mommie: Can I have a giant knight castle with a real dragon for my birthday?
Me: Well, honey, you can have one BIG toy for your birthday, whichever one you want when your birthday is closer. Let's wait and see what you want later, OK?
M: OK. But Can I also get toys for Christmas?
Me: Yes, hon. I think you will get plenty of toys. What else do you want?
M: Oh! One of those big machine toys for big boys that fights like THIS (pause for demonstration). And two more light savers for when my friends come over to play. And some of those turtle things -- those really cool nin- nin-ley turtles, with the green and red light-up things. Oh! And one of those flowers that spins around and around and shoots the little person out... but, Mom, (in a clear and instructive voice) BATTERIES ARE NOT INCLUDED with these products.

Geez!



I DON'T KNOW, BUT I THINK HIS SPIDEY SENSES ARE TINGLING!
My grandmother, whom Miles calls GiGi, is fixated with just-add-water products. She has given us two washclothes and several of those tiny capsule sponges that grow in water. This week, she hit the moterlode! She found a tiny, keychain Spiderman that will balloon to 6 times his original size in water, can then be dried out, shrunk down and will grow again. We find this fascinating. We now have a fish bowl in the bathroom, so we can submerge Spidey and track his growth. This was the conversation when the superhero first went in the drink:
M: Oh! Oh! I think he is growing already!
Me: Well, maybe.
M: I see his little leg moving. Yes! It is moving!
Me: Well, he does have bubbles coming off of him. Look, Miles! Really close to where his arm meets his leg. Do you see the bubbles?
M: Yeah. (distracted.) But what is JEST a little worrying me.... I hope he can swim!

No comments: