I am sitting at my desk, well into the rhythm of a busy workday. Untidy piles of "to dos" mound under each elbow, a sheath of sent faxes spills across the floor and unfinished coffee goes cold (with expensive, organic half and half in it, no less!).
A microwave break crosses my mind but I feel I can't stop. I am pressured, as there's much to remember -- if I don't stay on it today, the little things won't get done! -- and it's the last day of a week, besides. To so many people I have promised calls, but I still don't know all the answers they require. I haven't had this many small tasks, piling up and pulling sideways at my mind, in weeks.
I know I want a break.... But then, I often want to sit around and feel sorry for myself, too. Neither course of action seems completely wise today! I will not stand up. I cannot stop, until more work is done.
And then I realize I am humming. And then I realize I am singing. And I realize a break has found me where I sit.
Here's what came to me, a small window of sweetness in an ordinary, busy day.
"...It is you
We adore
It is you
Praises are for
Only you
The heaven's declare...
Holy, holy is our God Almighty
Holy, holy is his name alone
Holy, holy is our God Almighty
Holy, holy is his name alone
...As we lift up our hands
Will you meet us here?
As we call on your name
Will you meet us here?
We have come to this place
To worship you
God of mercy and grace
It is you...
As we lift up our hands
As we call on your name
Will you visit this place?
By your mercy and grace....
It is you...."
The pressure is less. The workload hasn't grown. And I feel better.
Though, gotta say, my coffee is still cold.... ;)
1 comment:
Wonderful post! I, too, catch myself humming (or whistling, or sometimes outright singing) the Eucharistic liturgy in the oddest of places. I think that's okay. After all, as part of the liturgy itself says, "It is right, and a good and joyful thing, always and everywhere to give thanks to you, Father Almighty, creator of heaven and earth."
Post a Comment