Last night at dinner we played a game. A little grammar game. It started like this:
Boy said: "I like suckers that are sour.
...But I like ice cream that is cold."
So I said: "I like brownies that are soft, and I like chocolate sauce that is warm."
And Boy said: "I like carrots that are crispy."
And I said: "I like noodles that are hot."
And Husband said: "I like chips that are spicy and drinks that are fizzy."
Boy dissolved into giggles at the word fizzy, then composed himself enough to shout: "I LIKE CHIPS THAT ARE SPICY, TOO! And, also, sandwiches with no lettuce."
Then he bugged his eyes out and looked at both of us, eager for a reaction. He didn't know the name of the game, exactly, but he knew that just as suddenly as we had created it, he had violated its order "with no lettuce."
We all laughed. It was a good game. And then it was over.
I think we're going to have a lot fun with this parenting thing.... Nerdy fun, perhaps. But family fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment