9.08.2010

Fast Funnies

It's a busy week and I fear my time to think and write is about up for a while. To keep the posts going when my mind can't really keep pace, I'm going to cheat and simply transcribe two amusing moments from the last week.

Scene: Dinner table. 3rd grader Miles has shared that his class got a new student today. A girl.
Daddy J, immediately: "Is she cute?"
M: "NO! ...Well, not really. Maybe." (Small wrinkle in brow shows consternation, or at least concentrated thought.) "...Cute or not, what does it matter?!"
Ah, young son! Give it two years, and you may find it matters. Maybe a lot. ;)


Scene: Shoe store. Miles and Daddy are shopping while I distract Owen. It's going very well or terribly, depending upon one's point of view. Owen is definitely engaged and staying put. He found an arcade horse and is riding him without the benefit of quarters to make the horse move.
O: "YEE-HA!! Wide 'em, COWBOYS!" (Followed by more whooping and yee-ing.)
Dad appears in our corner of the store.
D: "Buddy? Listen. You have to be a little quieter in here!"
O: "Why, Daddy?" (Shifts to his staged whisper.) "ARE BABIES SLEEPING IN HERE?"


...Speaking of this post, I noticed last night that I don't really document like the other moms. I followed a friend's Facebook link to a family blog. And I clicked through the blogroll to many other family blogs. Funny, a whole lot of them post those "vital stats" for their child's first year. A lot of them take a monthly photo, in the same spot or with the baby dressed in one consistent thing, with little signs or pins to give the age. A lot of them list the foods their growing baby eats and or the words he/she says.

I relate crack-ups that cause us to lose our Parent Facade. ;)

In general, I tend to beat myself up when I compare me to the Mommy Blogs. I feel I'm not doing it all right, somehow? But today I feel just fine about my fits-and-starts, highly selective method of documenting our lives. It's FINE, my system. Because it's mine. And so are they. And God knows what He's doing. So I got the boys I needed, and they got the Mom they needed. While I am FAR from a really excellent or a perfect mother, I'm pretty perfect for them. Amen.

(And now I have to go see why Owen just yelled "YEAH, BABY! Way to go, O!" from his perch on the toilet. Where he is in training. And evidently very proud. Next we're going to senselessly patronize Starbucks on the way to his preschool. "I not feelin' good, Mama," he says this morning. "Because I need a lil' coffee shop. I needa go to that coffee shop, ann ann I will feel better." And I bought it -- hook, line & sinker! ;))

No comments: