ED. NOTE: Somehow, I stayed one wrap-up sentence shy of completing this post all of February. But, as the writing was begun that month, I am now cheating to publish the post with a date more relevant to when it was composed. And I'm not even sorry for this shameful manipulation of my readership....
I love my blog! I love blogging in my blog! (I SO don't have time for this diversion. Big developments pending at the workplace. New marketing push... serious stuff to attend to... overdue projects and correspondence and so much grown-up-ness I really want to run away to Kansas. Or... just somewhere with actual terrain and no computers.)
Nonetheless, I was thinking about the cat and the boy -- as the dual focal points of all my maternal energy, both are probably a little over-thought -- and I was thinking how nicely everything is turning out.
Two years ago, we were still dealing with Toddleritis Terriblis. Such a strong will, and so much to learn! Potty training was an ongoing battle. Entering the preschool classroom caused fits of donkey-grade stubbornness and shoes could never stay on both feet or be located in matching pairs. ...Not that those days weren't fun, really, because the baby boy face and the baby boy voice were unrivaled in their preciousness -- but oh, so much has changed! And, oh, is my daily life easier because of it!
Today, Miles turned off the TV and dressed himself in the clothes laid out as soon as I asked. He fed himself a waffle at the table, asked for milk with his lunch, and brushed his own hair before school. He told me he's looking forward to Thursday (computer day!) and that it's just 17 days until his birthday. (Keeping his own mental countdown, he is. The child is freakishly adept at math.) He's just a good kid, ya' know? A sweet, pleasant, happy, smart boy who is a JOY to be around and to help shepherd through this life.
Then, on the cat front.... Just two weeks ago, I was in full-on CAT-ASTROPHE (!!) mode over the neutering of my half-grown, horny pet. (It wasn't pretty, folks! Neither the scenes that sped up my booking of the vet appointment, nor the aftermath of cat hormone surges that followed the vet appointment.) I really should write about the rampant, er, humping of shoes and stuffed animals, ankles and calves and throw blankets. Plus, about the way my super-SERIOUS reading of the post-surgery instructions led me to completely obsess about the number of times the cat licked his surgery site. Both are kind-of crass stories, yes, but pretty funny...
Now, however, the ravages of puberty have subsided and Chester is once again a loveable puff of laziness and fur who visits my desk daily and spreads fine particles of dirt all over my work. He swishes his tail in front of my screen with no regard to my typing, and I just pretend to mind as I shoo him away. He makes these funny, abbreviated noises to let me know if he wants out, or in, or food, or water, or if he wants me to lift the toilet cover so he can play in the bowl. (OK: I don't actually encourage that. But he does have a thing about the toilets. Just LOVES them!)
It's a fun time, right now, around the house. And since I haven't felt that much carefree, light-hearted fun in a long time, I'm cherishing every moment.
No comments:
Post a Comment