So I've been mulling for days, this heartbreaking statement I heard on the radio. I joined a program mid-steam, and I'm not even sure of the topic -- I think maybe it was gun control? An ex-gang member was explaining why he joined, when he said: "gangs accept anybody." He said that young kids who feel "dorky" or stupid or like odd men out can always find a place to fit, in a gang. "You feel more than welcome," he said. And... BAM.
That particular choice of words slaps my whole world view in the face.
I belong to a faith that hinges on welcome and acceptance, as modeled by its central figure, Jesus of Nazareth. And, friends, we are FAILING MISERABLY when a poor kid in a big city finds more welcome in a street gang than in a Christian community. What the hell is wrong with our welcome?
'Cause who do you think Jesus himself would be hanging with, if he were here? ("Drinking beer and hangin' out and savin' all of my friends," I add, because I often hear that phrase from Pat Green in my head.)
Look,maybe it was an isolated case. And every person stands accountable for his or her actions. And all that crap, on and on. But, bottom line: This single human being never felt TRUE welcome or acceptance, anywhere. Because his gang was not so much "accepting" him as using him. In ways that made his life less, and not more, abundant.
The Christ I know would never treat this, or any other person, as a means to an end. As extra hands to enforce codes of vengeance; as eyes and trigger fingers to carry out acts of violence.
We people of faith aren't about that. Anything like that. Our yoke is easier and our burden lighter. But how would a street kid KNOW... if none of us Christ-followers stop to welcome, accept and show him?
My heart is heavy; my mind uneasy. Something stinks in my safe and sanitized Christian world. Something is not right here.
"Gangs accept anybody." If only that were true of Christ's church.
No comments:
Post a Comment