8.25.2008

Dust Off the Cobwebs...

Whew! That was weird. It has been so long since I posted to this blog, that I actually forgot my password!

...Travelocity, I can afford to forget. (There's always the Expedia account!) Proflowers and AA.com, I will forever have to look up before using. But Blogger? Now
that is shameful.

Let's all pause briefly to focus scorn upon my head... just for a moment... really feelin' it now... and that's about all the judgment I can take. Moving on!

Let's shift focus to the First Day of School. Ahhh.... the sweetness!

You know, I really am an education junkie. An absolute groupie to the whole process of public schooling. It fascinates me! Admittedly, earlier in adult life, I would have died of embarrassment at the thought that I would willingly succumb to the... ... Parent Teacher Association. Today, however, I find myself on the PTA board. (See? WHAT a suck-up!)

But the shift has come about so honestly. While I'm still not above making fun of myself (and all the other Type A moms), it feels right to plug in and find a spot at the school where I can be useful. I really want to do something helpful for the people trying their best to do right by my kid. And by everybody else's kid who comes their way.

About this time of year, I find in my deepest, truest heart the urge to buy extra Clorox wipes and value tubs of Goldfish! :) (Yes, I realize how very silly I sound. That's kind-of the best part!)

But enough of my hogging the day. I actually set out to report on Miles...

My marvelous M. took his first morning of 1st Grade in admirable stride, and watching him fit right in gave me such a gush of gratefulness. That boy really has come a long way! I certainly don't give his father and myself all the credit, but I'm proud we've been part of the process.

I'm starting to understand some deeper things about shy kids, observing Miles. He's really come into his own over the last year or so. His nature is still to clam up when in question or on display. (Mine, on the other hand, is to gush at the mouth. Go figure!) But his growth has shown me this: Where reserved children may be more unsure of their environments than bold children, that doesn't mean they're unsure of themselves.

Miles knows, deep down, that he can "do" school. He has the system down. So, he might be extra quiet on Meet the Teacher Day. He might pause and look to Mrs. McIntosh for direction just inside her room, Day One. But he doesn't dead stop anywhere on campus. He just keeps moving ahead. And the grace of that very simple life skill amazes me!

Where I constantly looked for some sign that Miles' REALLY needed me today, I didn't find any. I honestly think I could have dropped him off in the circle drive and let him walk to Room 308 by himself. (I may tomorrow!) It's so gratifying to see this once-mulish little person -- the same one who WOULD NOT go into his preschool class for TWO ENTIRE YEARS without being pushed from behind -- step out on his own and do what needs to be done. Plus, appear to actually ENJOY doing it! No stalling. No whining. No foot-dragging. Just a quiet good attitude and this giddy thought (voiced to himself, evidently) halfway down the 1st Grade hall: "Oh, I'm gonna have so much fun at RECESS!"

Inside, he put away his backpack, crossed to his desk and started reading the copied page in front of his name card. I had to tag along behind to request a picture. He looked up at me, all business, blue crayon in hand, then went back to coloring. I caught the smallest beginning of a grin when he looked down at his page. And then I left.

...It was GREAT!

Bottom line: I really love this kid. I think he got off to a good start this morning. And that makes my heart swell with happy.

5 comments:

nikki said...

OH MY GOSH! First grade! This is totally my cup of tea! I was testing some kid today wondering how Miles would do on some of these tests. I bet he would blow the tests away! I love the fact that he loves school and that you love and trust where he spends most of his day everyday. That is so important.
:)
Thanks for being a mom who cares.
Sometimes they are few and far between.

Earlene said...

G,
Your way w/ words just blows me away. It was really good to spend some time w/ you in May. Your family is precious. Take care of them.
Susie's Mom

Mama Jo's Musings said...

Ginger, it was so good to see a blog from you again. Great to hear that Miles is doing so well. I'd sure love the opportunity to see you and the family sometime! How's that other little Owen guy????

Mama Jo's Musings said...

Ginger, where is your latest blog? Uncle showed it to me last night, but it's not here tonight! email me. thanks, aunty ellen

kmorgan said...

Okay, so I realize that this is a very delayed response but after reading about your "shy child" I thought I would add in a little random piece of info from my own childhood.

When I was in the sixth grade I was on the swim team with this boy named Eric Cousineau and every single morning we would ride in his mother's black Seburbon from the Aquatic Center to the Hubbard campus. And she was quite chatty and he managed to never once speak to me. Not even a little bit. Not even at all.

This continued for three years...

And during this time, I couldn't help but develop a huge crush on this poor little silent boy. I just always wanted to know what he was thinking. Now, he wasn't like, awkwardly quiet or anything. He was just quiet outside of his comfort zone and when he was with his friends, he was very chatty. I just wasn't really one of his friends.

Anyway, it wasn't until sophomore year of HIGH SCHOOL that he and I finally had a conversation and became decently friends. It doesn't help that he's an uber genius (and by that, I mean we graduated same class in High School and both came down here to A&M. I classified half-way through my freshman year but he, on the other hand, started off as a Junior).

Anyway, now we're friends and here I am, almost 8 years later, and I still have a huge crush on this kid. Totally random, but I just wanted to let you know that you should keep an eye on ol' Miles because girls will be developing secret crushes on him for the rest of his life.

Cool story. Sorry.

--kaleigh.