3.08.2007

Following What Happened

I have a minute to breathe just now, and so it seems a good time to post the obituary for my tiny little nephew, Caleb. I wrote it at my brother's request, and I end it in words my brother said to me.

An explanatory post on this topic is just below.... I'm still sort of wrapping my head around the whole situation, and I thought posting the obit might help. One day after the funeral, I still feel kinda "busy" in my head. It's a good amount of mental work, I guess, registering what the loss will mean to Betsy and Shannon in days to come, looking out for them and, as much as I can, watching over them. I find myself suddenly flashing back through our smallest conversations, seeking out signs that our collective grief is "going well." (Having been depressed for a good part of 2006, I'm also on high alert that I myself allow the good and healthy kind of sad but don't let any emotions slide to the dark side. I might be needlessly concerned and over-analyzing, but there I am.)

I also need to give myself a break, to sleep more, and not let the tragedy of people I love become MY tragedy. It really doesn't belong to me. I'm working on all that, too, and I think I'm doing OK. I think I'm watching out for myself. (And if I'm not, Jeremy is. He's already pushing a massage and spa day. When he sends me forth to shop, I'll know I have been exhibiting too many signs of stress!)

Anyway... here are the words. They're kind of like a sermon, I figured out later. Which is probably good, because anyone who reads about a tiny baby who died probably needs a dose of theology. May the God-words comfort us all...

JOHN CALEB BARRY

John Caleb Barry passed from Earth to Heaven on March 4, 2007. He was born March 2, 2007 at Presbyterian Hospital in Plano, Texas.

Caleb was the son of Betsy and Shannon Barry of Tyler. He is survived by his parents; by his brother, Joshua Isaac; by his grandparents, Sarah and John Beene of Tyler and Kay and James Barry of Longview; by his aunts and uncles, Melissa and Bentley Ford, Meredith Beene and Ginger and Jeremy Brandt, all of Tyler; by his cousins Katie Beth and Anna Ford and Miles Brandt; and by his three great-grandmothers and one great-grandfather, Barbara Jones, Dorothy Barry and Kathleen and Edwin Hamilton.

Caleb was known to his God well before birth, each of his days counted before one of them came to be. Those who saw him testify: He was wonderfully made. His parents believe Caleb was called by God just as God calls to all people of faith, throughout all time. Quoting the words spoken to the prophet Jeremiah, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; before you were born I set you apart.”

Caleb’s life was a powerful witness to his family and many friends, showing us how deeply our faith can sustain us through difficulty, and how present God is in our hurts.

Graveside services for Caleb were held Wednesday morning, March 7 in Henderson, Texas.

John Caleb Barry was a real live little boy who came to bless his family in a life of a few, short days. He now lives perfected, in a place of constant fellowship and joy, because of the sacrifice made for all by Caleb’s Savior, Jesus Christ.


A final thought: If anyone wants to post a message of support the parents can print out and save, our local newspaper allows comments in their obit postings. Here is the link: Caleb's online guestbook.

Peace. --Ginger

3 comments:

Mary Beth said...

I've been checking in on you periodically...I'm so sorry and grieved for this loss in your lives.

you're in my prayers.

ANewAnglican@gmail.com said...

I am so deeply sorry. Words fail me, but the prayers of God's people are with you. If I may offer one for Caleb, and one for all of you.

O God, whose beloved Son took children into his arms and
blessed them: Give us grace to entrust Caleb to your never-failing care and love, and bring us all to your heavenly kingdom; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

Most merciful God, whose wisdom is beyond our understanding: Deal graciously with this family in their grief. Surround them with your love, that they may not be
overwhelmed by their loss, but have confidence in your goodness, and strength to meet the days to come; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Sue said...

I'm so very sorry for your loss Ginger. I'll be praying for you and your family.