12.20.2005

Stardate: Christmas Break

We are watching "M & N-ja Turtles" at my house. Right now! I am awash in memories, since my brother and I watched this same cartoon together in the early 80s. We, of course, called them the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles," but whatever. Sometimes, these days, they are alternately referred to as "Engine-inja" turtles. Whatever they are (known through other kids' tales and toys, the actual cartoon is being viewed for the first time by young master M.), we are now pretty sure they are "AWESOME, Mom! Cool!"

M. and I just went to the video store to find some afternoon distraction, as it is raining and I have mucho work to do. Here's a fast reenactment of our time in the kid video racks:

Me: Do you want this Captain America cartoon?
Son: No... It looks SCARY! I think it is for teenagers.
Me: How about Clifford?
Son: Uh... I think it might be for babies.
Me: OK, Miles... What about this one?
Son: I will get that video when I am four. Or maybe five. I won't watch the big-boy movies until then, Mommie. I PROMISE!

Suffice it to say, that stop took longer than I hoped, but how could I be upset?

In other business, the ninja mispronunciation reminds me of a cute moment last week -- something that transpired in my car, of course -- on the way home from preschool. Miles says, "Oh! Now I get it! It's the daymu!" I say, "What?! The Daiwoo?" He says, "No! The day... MOO!"
"Again," I say, "I don't understand you."
"Not the one for nighttime, Mom, but the DAY MOON! The one that comes out in daytime."
(I was momentarily thrown, then I began to look up and around. True enough, the huge, perfect orb of a full moon hovered right over our church, its soft white shape fully visible against a pale blue sky.) "It doesn't come out every day, so, so... I figured it out! It is the VERY SPECIAL Day Moon. When I see it, it means it is going to be a GOOD DAY!"
Yes, that must be it! A very special celestial body perfectly matched to the very special days of childhood.

Viva la Day Moo!

Long live M&N-ja's!

...Just two more days until my own Christmas vacation!

1 comment:

ANewAnglican@gmail.com said...

Huge Captain America fan here. When M. gets older and can handle the mature themes involved in fighting Nazis, I'll be happy to show him how to fashion a Captain America shield out of cardboard. With the right modifications it can fit perfectly on the handlebars of a bicycle (the Captain's motorcycle).